Anchovies, small, silvery fish commonly found in the Mediterranean and Black Sea, are a versatile ingredient that can add depth of flavor to a variety of dishes. Whether used whole, chopped, or mashed into a paste, anchovies have been a staple in many cuisines for centuries.
Anchovies are a type of small saltwater fish that belong to the Engraulidae family. They are usually about 2 to 3 inches long and have a distinct flavor and aroma. Fresh anchovies are not commonly available, so they are usually sold canned, salted, or packed in oil.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ANCHOVIES
- Rich in omega-3 fatty acids that promote heart health and lower blood pressure
- Excellent source of protein, providing essential amino acids for the body’s growth and repair
- Contains calcium, contributing to strong bones and teeth
international dishes using anchovies
- Italian pasta dishes such as spaghetti alla puttanesca and Caesar salad dressing
- Spanish tapas like anchovy-stuffed olives and boquerones en vinagre
- Southeast Asian stir-fry dishes and curries
- Korean side dishes like myeolchi bokkeum (stir-fried anchovies) and anchovy broth for soups and stews
Anchovies Stuffed Olives
- Use anchovy fillets to add umami flavor to sauces, dressings, and marinades
- Melt anchovy paste into sautéed vegetables or meats for added depth of flavor
- Make a simple anchovy butter to top grilled steaks or vegetables
- Add a few chopped anchovies to pizza toppings for a salty kick
Nutrition facts (per 3-ounce serving):
Total fat: 7.2g
Calcium: 29% of daily value
Vitamin B12: 104% of daily value
- Canned or jarred anchovies can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 years.
- Once opened, transfer anchovies to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 months.
- Salted anchovies can be stored in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
Anchovies may be small, but they pack a big punch when it comes to flavor and nutrition. Whether you’re making a classic Caesar salad or experimenting with new flavor combinations, anchovies are a versatile and delicious addition to any kitchen. So why not give these tiny fish a try and elevate your cooking to the next level?